Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Couple of Things

I've always liked the saying "Man plans and God laughs", it's so true. In this house just recently "mom plans and the twins giggle" was the order of the day. Family has had me really busy but, with Pets on Quilt coming I planned an easy quilt.

More practice for my free motion feathers, beautiful colors, what more could I want except a dog on it. They wouldn't come near it, I'd pick it up, they'd run out the door, throw it on the floor, they made huge circles around it to avoid it like it was hot lava, this from a dog who grabbed a quilt and tried to run away with it while I was sewing it. 

So I'm showing it without dogs, first time I didn't have to crop the little buggers out.
I think my feathers still look like toes and some of them I'm pretty sure I've seen in an Alien movie, inspiration is everywhere, but I'm still proud and think they're beautiful.
I used stencils on the white parts

The back is more of my hand dyed fabric

I've been making quilts specifically to practice feathers, Debbie at Stitchin Therapy has wonderful tutorials on feathers, I can't tell you how many of her ideas I steal  borrow. Just today she posted another tutorial for a free motion vines and leaves that are gorgeous. Lots of tips and drawings, you should check it out. 
Yes, you can thank me since I told her I was going to wait patiently for the tute, but she knows I won't, she'll start getting emails from me asking where it is, telling her I'm turning blue from holding my breath and of course the ever popular "don't make me come up there". 

Pets on Quilts ends tomorrow (Monday) at midnight so if you haven't joined in, hurry, it really is the best show on the internet, you meet the nicest people. 
The closest I came to having a picture.

In other news, about a month ago on my morning walk we saw a trash truck back into a parked car and then drive away, big crash, it took them awhile to get the car off the truck, then they just drove away. I banged on the door and told the car owner what happened and now he's remodeling his home. Yesterday on our walk, we saw a small fire, which grew into a big fire and I had to call 911, police, fire trucks, yep I saved an entire neighborhood :)
I walked around all day yesterday telling everyone I was Batman and singing the song, David is thinking about not letting me out of the house anymore, he says I attract trouble. Life you've got to live it, LOL.

Later gators,
Dana (Batman)

18 comments:

  1. Your feathers look way better than mine. And I think I might give Deb's Vine a try on my aunt's quilt. You got a bigger blur in your photo than I did. If you start going out in a cape and mask - think they better keep you inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where DO you walk? It's much more interesting than the gym where I walk to avoid the Oklahoma heat and humidity. I checked my toes...your feathers look more like feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your feathers are wonderful....I don't see toes at all. Such a beautiful quilt...love the color combo.
    You just saved the whole island didn't you? and Smoky the Bear turned 70 this weekend....any relation? :) I like knowing a super hero even if she attracts danger and such.
    I rushed the tutorial just for you so I would not get those threats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your feathers are gorgeous, your quilt even more so, with or without terrible twin footprints across it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilting is gorgeous as is this quilt. Your practice is paying off! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is lovely and the quilting is great. Keep taking those walks...people need you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana! oh my! you are wonder woman!!! first your quilt is beautiful and your feathers are out of this world!
    and on top of it you saved people!!! what a blessing you are! hugs my sweet friend! so blessed to know you! smooch smooch

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love your quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dana (aka Batman), another beautiful quilt! Love the colors and fabrics. The back is fabulous and your quilting is gorgeous. I think our quilts are prettier when they are graced by the touch of our sweet pets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's absolutely gorgeous. You hand-dye people have me thinking I might need to learn to do that. It us so beautiful. Batman. Hm. Ideas are percolating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I'm shaking with laughter after reading this!!! Between the dog not cooperating and the fly-by shot for the contest (love it btw) and your Batman wanderings...what a hoot! About feathers, I'm sure you've heard, but mine got soooo much better after taking Angela Walters' class on Craftsy. Worth every penny. I love this quilt, love the pattern, the colours, the quilting and the hand-dyed (GORGEOUS) backing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Batman, I don't even know what to comment on first! Wow! Those were some crime fighting feats! Almost as good as the feats on your feathers. No I am not agreeing that your feathers look like toes - or aliens - they are beautiful! ;) I especially love the way you quilted the white spaces around the inner star - it's a gorgeous quilt! I love visiting your blog Dana!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like Batman to me! Anyone who can claim the name definitely needs to be singing the song :) Love your quilt and the hand-dyed fabrics are awesome! Such a wonderful job on the fmq too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh...I love your quilt and the feathers are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy smokes, Dana! Your neighbor must have been so happy you saw the car get smashed, even aside from ending up with money for remodeling. I totally laughed about the absence of dog for quilt photos on this one, and totally envisioned the one quilt getting snatched away while working on it. This quilt is absolutely beautiful - the colors and the quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy smokes, Dana! Your neighbor must have been so happy you saw the car get smashed, even aside from ending up with money for remodeling. I totally laughed about the absence of dog for quilt photos on this one, and totally envisioned the one quilt getting snatched away while working on it. This quilt is absolutely beautiful - the colors and the quilting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really gorgeous quilt and free-motion quilting too. Drooling. You did a fantastic job. Funny neither of the four legged kids wanted to pose for a picture with it. Their loss.

    You are a wonderful Batman and your community is lucky to have you as such. But do be safe.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete