Sunday, February 28, 2016

Let's Book It Feb. 2016

Not only does Sharon's Let's Book It party help me clean out old magazines and patterns, it also tells me another month is coming to an end. February being "the little guy" really crept up on me, surprise it's over. It's been crazy busy around here the last few months, we both have new to us vehicles, mine tried to kill me after I had it two months (that was fun), lots of trips to the Vet, Maya has developed some allergies which the Vet can't figure out and the amazing daughter flew all over the country to interview for her post doc, residency, fellow (pick your terminology they're all basically the same). Stressful for me but wonderful for her, she saw snow in Wisconsin which she hasn't seen since her first time when she was four and discovered it's cold, this time she learned it's slippery, LOL. In a few months she and I will be traveling to find her a place to live, not in Wisconsin, but no longer two hours away, sad but exciting.  

With all that I forgot that I pretty much avoid new quilt magazines since the goal is to get rid of the ones I have and I found myself in front of an array of magazines and this one caught my eye.
 American Patchwork and Quilting Feb. 2016

Just look at that cover quilt, how could I resist, it's so bright and beautiful! 


The cover says Just 3 Fabrics, but I never noticed that, I was just so in love with that quilt. The 3 fabrics were Ombre which I don't have in my stash and wasn't about to buy, but it was easy to switch it out to solids and the quilt is still beautiful.

So much movement and color. 

The blocks were a log cabin style and came together perfectly. I finished it with awkward feather flowers (Debbie please don't look) which were fun but.... well, awkward. 

I used the left over pieces to make a pretty pieced back.

This quilt was just the color jolt I needed, next will be Dresden's for the March Let's Book It and hopefully my mojo will come back.

Please visit Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts to see all of the other projects, remember there are no rules, no finishes required just make something you already planned on making, how easy is that?

Later Gators,
Dana  

13 comments:

  1. I can see this quilt calling you - COLOR! And although I love the new ombre's, the choice of using your own stash of color works so nicely with this. I've had dresdens on my mind of late - can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking and the feathers are great....they work on this piece. Besides I threw away my quilt police badge---I only kept the needle! anyway, this colorful / color filled quilt is so you. I just want to know how you had time to get it done with your crazy life? You must sew on full throttle until the wee hours. Sorry to hear about the move away.....that's what kids do and what it takes for them to live their lives. You will get thru it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its beautiful! Nice finish! Love the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice quilt! The one on the cover sure looks like more than 3 fabrics to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Bright and bold! What a great pattern to break your magazine fast with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt didn't need ombre (whatever that is), it's gorgeous just as it is, and definitely so you! Perfect to perk up a room on a dreary February morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! That is just gorgeous, and I love the back. It says pinata to me, for some reason...or tequila sunrise...or something related to Mexico. I can't say why. Congratulations to your daughter. It is exciting, but I'd be sad too if my kids were moving away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woozier, that's gorgeous! I do love your colors... makes me wish for spring to "spring" LOL! I have to say what caught me eye on the cover of the magazine was the organizing you sewing room thing! :-) Must be a secret message to me! tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I really like your version! This is the perfect quilt for the start of the spring season -- I visualize the spring buds popping out when I look at this. Wonderful job front, back and quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you have the BEST eye for color! I could have never put these together and have it come out like you did! LOVE this quilt!!! and your quilting!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is gorgeous Dana! I do believe I need a color jolt like this too. I love the way you translated the ombre fabrics into solids - very well done! The backing is really great too and I see nothing awkward about your quilting - it looks perfect!
    It's hard to believe that Cori is already doing her residency. My how times flies. Although probably not for her, working so hard to achieve this. You must be so proud Dana!
    Hope Maya gets over her mysterious allergy. Pip is on her third round of antibiotics for a bacterial infection caused by flea bites last fall. Poor little pups.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh....I just love your quilt, love the colors....

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the colors of this quilt. The back is stunning as well.

    ReplyDelete