Friday, January 29, 2016

Let's Book It January 2016

Let's Book It is back for 2016! I was so happy when Sharon at Vrooman's Quilts said she was continuing, I'm more than half way through my stack of magazines so 2016 is going to be my year to reclaim that shelf space.

I've been sewing for other people since the beginning of December, being responsible and whining ever so slightly about wanting to play. So the responsible thing to do is not miss the first link up, right? The first magazine in the stack had the perfect quilt, lots of color and really fast piecing.

McCall's Quilting June 2009

Jelly Beans by Michele Scott

Of course I just happened to have all of these wonderful colors in my stash :)
Isn't it just too much fun, bright and graphic. I left off the borders because....well I'll blame Sharon

The quilting was just stitch in the ditch and an outline, not a straight line anywhere because wonky is just fun. 

I had it done in just a few days and settled back down to the repair quilt. If your interested, I did take the back off, ditched the very thin old batting, replaced the torn blocks and used a really light fusible stabilizer on the remaining original blocks (they all had holes in the centers from the ties). New batting and a stitch in the ditch and it was done. I did not tie it again, my niece is starting to quilt and I think if it's important to her she can add the ties. It came out feeling nice and solid again and I'm hoping she uses it, I don't want that much loved quilt sitting on a shelf in the closet, that's just sad.

Please join us for Let's Book It, it's something you know you want to do, meaning it's a quilt you already have the directions or pattern for, plus there's an adorable little car as incentive. Change that to Bob Barker's voice and say "and a new car!!!" LOL.

Later Gators,
Dana





13 comments:

  1. Great quilt and colors! Glad you got the other quilt repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Bright, bold and colorful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you had all those bright bold and beautiful colors in your stash! Great quilt, I like it with that very narrow border. Some quilts just don't need anything more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt pattern does not need a border - it speaks for itself. Oh, I love the color and the free quilting - all so fun! What a great start to the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'll confess your Jelly Beans is prettier than the one in the article. Love your cheerful Jelly Bean colors. I do remember this pattern and it looks like a super fun project. I definitely need to get my act together and join "lets book it". But in the meantime I'm having great fun and finding inspiration by following those that are participating.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bright and cheerful....jelly beans. But where is the licorice flavor? lol. Glad to see you cutting thru those mags. Glad to hear that the repair was a success too. You were brave to take it on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love this. You have such a good eye for bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors and the whole look of this quilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jelly Beans is the perfect quilt to give yourself a treat Dana! It's so colorful and cheery and wow did you sew it up fast!
    It must also feel really great to have successfully repaired the old, falling apart quilt. It can get a lot more years of being loved now, thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOOOVE how you repaired it! I bet it was a little scary taking it apart in those places but the outcome sounds like its amazing!!!!
    ok this quilt you are sharing I just have to say your eye for color and choosing the perfect fabrics is making me so jealous of your skills and your experience!!! glad you did another blog post... you are tempting me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dana, your Jelly Beans quilt is SO PRETTY with those gorgeous springtime colors ! That must have been really fun to make. Excellent choice of pattern ! Best wishes from Marina and Daryl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo! What pretty colors - nice and Eastery! Perfect for jellybeans. That was a good idea to leave the tying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo! What pretty colors - nice and Eastery! Perfect for jellybeans. That was a good idea to leave the tying for her.

    ReplyDelete