Thursday, April 28, 2016

Let's Book It April 2016

The end of the month and it's time for my favorite link up, Sharon's "Let's Book It" over at Vrooman's Quilts. We all buy those patterns, magazines and books, then too often they sit there. I've been going through old magazines and passing them on finally, but this month I dug up a pattern that's been waiting patiently to be made. 

If you're on Pinterest, you've seen the Sea Glass Quilt


This one's been on my bucket list for a long time so when I was asked to make a baby quilt with this pattern, how could I say no? Force me to make a beautiful quilt I've wanted to make for a long time :) 

We discussed colors and we were sticking close to the original colors with a little pink or Coral (Key's girl Cori's real name) thrown in, when she told me she wanted to pull colors from the quilt to plan the nursery. Stop everything, what!? That was a lot of pressure. 

So I pulled out the big guns
Yep, 96 not a wimpy 64 and yes I labeled them since Cori and I colored a lot together and she would "borrow" my crayons. Mom note: coloring after school together got me more conversation then the usual "nothing went on at school today". 

I did this
Three colors to pull from in all shades.

Then made this

I love this quilt as does the mom, I think it's possibly the prettiest quilt I've ever made. 

Quilting was outlining with petals quilted into the open white spaces. I found the perfect backing of similar flowers, you can't really see it in the picture, but there's touches of pink and lilac there. 

Huge success and I can use it for my Let's Book It, bonus! Please jump over and visit Sharon and all of the other linkers (linkyers?). 

To make all of those petals, I turned under the edges, lots of burned fingers from the iron even using my stick thing. I had just finished this when I received my friend Lara's book Crafted Applique - New Possibilities. Lara blogs at BuzzinBumble and she came up with a new idea for doing applique which doesn't fray. I'll be part of her blog hop on May 3 to review the book, but right now I can tell you I'll be doing this quilt again without burned fingers using Lara's method. 

Later Gators,
Dana 

10 comments:

  1. It is on my list too!!! Great job I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it - and super job of pulling the faithful crayon box out for the color quide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a quilt!!!! I love your take on it, with burnt fingers and all. Pretty is not strong enough to describe it. More like striking and gorgeous come to mind :) I would have used the interfacing backing for all the petals......and your quilting is just right for it. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt! I can hardly wait to hear about Lara's method, I'm all for not having burned fingertips with all the hand quilting I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I absolutely love your Sea Glass Quilt. All of your quilts have been beautiful, but this one is truly stunning. BTW - This quilt has been on my bucket list for awhile. Love it. Total #CreativeGoodness

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I absolutely love your Sea Glass Quilt. All of your quilts have been beautiful, but this one is truly stunning. BTW - This quilt has been on my bucket list for awhile. Love it. Total #CreativeGoodness

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That has taken my breath away... How beautiful Dana! The ombre effect you created in the petals is simply gorgeous! The quilting you chose is just perfect too. The new Mom must be over the moon over her baby's quilt. I would love to see how she creates a nursery around it. That is the ultimate compliment from a new Mom Dana.
    It makes me smile so much that "Pulling out the big guns" means getting out your box of crayola crayons! I'm sooo looking forward to your day on the blog hop Dana!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It's gorgeous! You picked just the right colors.

    ReplyDelete