Saturday, April 28, 2012

Foto Finish - Warm

The optional theme for Cat Patches Foto Finish is Warm. So here we go, these are for you Barbara (Mrs. Cat Patches), enjoy.

It seems a little backwards since these visitors show in the winter, but they come down looking for our warm water.


This is a manatee, she's beautiful isn't she? Can you see how old time sailors thought they were mermaids? The marks on her back are from boat propellers, signs are posted everywhere to slow down in manatee areas, but.... well you know, people. I know that's a she because this is her baby.



In the old days, anyone who saw a manatee would throw a hose into the water, they come right over to drink the fresh water. Most people kept lettuce for them too, boy do they love lettuce. Now the powers that be have passed a law that you're not allowed to interact with the manatees, so of course no one does this anymore ;)


I'm honored to say I've been in the water with them, they are huge, gentle, beautiful and very playful. I was literally dragged into the water when one grabbed my foot and pulled me in, I think they thought it was hilarious. 

Thanks for stopping by,
Dana

6 comments:

  1. ohhhhh....we used to go up to TECO to watch all the manatees....and we went canoing down by Crystal River & Homosassas Springs...such fun they are...gentle giants for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful creatures, great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how precious! They must have funny personalities. Such interesting creatures. I hope I get to see them one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you lucky to have these experiences with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, yours is doubly covered with heart warming and warm. :-)

    ReplyDelete